Last Modified: May 29, 2018
One of the best ways businesses can drastically reduce the cost of communicating with their clients is by using invoices as a regular promotional tool. Bills may be the only regular communication your customers receive—so why not use them as a marketing tool?
The following no-cost to low-cost options promote your business, increase retention, and help you get paid faster. You’ve already paid for the postage, paper and printing, so the cost of these options is the best bargain you will find anywhere to help grow your business.
1. Use your logo in your return address. Promote your brand every chance you get. Place your logo in the top left corner of the invoice and put your return address under it so it will show through the window envelope.
2. Reserve a messaging area on your invoice. Make sure you use the same location on the invoice so your customers know exactly where to look for important information regarding your company. Use this area to communicate changes in service locations, holiday hours, special offers, important account information and more. Make sure your messages are up to date, relevant, and concise. Direct customers to your website for more details.
3. Use color to highlight important information. A color logo is a great way to add brand recognition to your company. And for a nominal fee, you can draw your customer’s eyes to information you want them to read by highlighting your message area in color.
4. Group your pertinent company info together. Contact information such as location, phone number, email, website, etc., should be located in either the upper right corner of your invoice or along the bottom so it’s easier for your customers to find out how to get in touch with you.
5. Keep your invoice clean and omit the clutter. No one wants to receive an invoice that looks chaotic. Well-designed invoices include an invoice number, date, the service performed, total due, due date, and payment terms. Your customer should be able to glance at the invoice and quickly determine if it's ready to process. The less confusion, the quicker you get paid.
6. Include an insert in the envelope with your invoice. From an ROI standpoint, this is very likely the most cost-effective marketing tool you have at your disposal. Financial documents are one of the few types of mail that are promptly opened and read, giving you immediate access to your clients. You’ve already paid for postage, so adding an insert page to inform your customers of an upcoming event, promotion, or sale gives you great bang for your buck. DocuSend, a web-based service for printing and mailing invoices, lets you insert a black-and-white PDF document for as little as $0.10 per page or $0.17 for color. Try to get a better return on your investment than that!
So put your invoices to work and use them for much more than just billing. It’s one of the most cost-effective ways to grow your business and improve brand name recognition.
Mail Technologies Inc, with corporate offices in Rochester, New York, was founded in 1991 to provide large-volume financial document processing to financial institutions, cable companies and other businesses, where accurate bill rendering is integral to their success. DocuSend was launched in 2015 to serve the small to mid-size volume market.Posted on October 17, 2016